5 Substances in Your Home That May be Poisonous to Pets

Our team is delighted to raise awareness of National Animal Poison Prevention Week, which will commence on March 19th and close on the 25th. During this week, we want to bring attention to some of the most frequently overlooked products in your home that can be toxic for your pets.

#1: Medications

When it comes to being a hazard in the home, medication often tops the list of things that pets may ingest. Beef-flavored heartworm preventatives and even prescription medications have been known to be consumed by our furry friends—especially food-motivated dogs who are all too eager to snatch up pills or rummage through luggage for pill bottles! An animal poison control hotline should always be contacted right away if your pet has ingested medication as an overdose can quickly prove fatal.

#2: Food

A frequent household peril that pets encounter is medication ingestion. Food-motivated pups, in particular, will often scavenge for dropped pills before their owners have time to respond and may even search through visitors’ suitcases or countertops. This can be fatal if there’s an overdose involved; hence it’s vital to contact a pet poison control hotline as quickly as possible! Prevention of such scenarios should start with keeping medicines out of the reach of your furry friends at all times.

#3: Household chemicals

Protect your furry friends by keeping the following common hazardous chemicals securely away from them – out of paw’s reach! Each one can be dangerous to pets if consumed in large quantities.

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover

#4: Houseplants

Be mindful when it comes to houseplants, as some of them, and the chemical substances used for their growth can be poisonous for your furry friends. For instance, lilies are particularly hazardous for cats even if they come in contact with only its pollen which can be lethal. Other dangerous flowers often found indoors include dieffenbachia, elephant ears, and spider plants, while outdoor specimens like ivy or oleander could also spell trouble. To guarantee pet safety prior to decorating your home with bouquets or embellishing your garden with greenery, check out the ASPCA’s toxic plant list!

#5: Batteries and coins

If your pet bites into a battery or ingests coins, they are at risk of experiencing metal poisoning. Additionally, if an intact battery is swallowed whole, it can lead to serious gastrointestinal blockage. Even worse – if the battery is punctured in any way during consumption, chemical burns may result.

If you think your pet has come into contact with a potentially hazardous substance, don’t hesitate to reach out to us right away.